Core Module Information
Module title: Project Appraisal and Finance

SCQF level: 11:
SCQF credit value: 20.00
ECTS credit value: 10

Module code: BSV11702
Module leader: Stephen Sladdin
School School of Engineering and the Built Environment
Subject area group: Building and Surveying
Prerequisites

NA

Description of module content:

Project life cycle. Feasibility Studies. Techniques of Economic Project Appraisal. Required Rates of Return on Project Investments. The Capital Asset Pricing Model. Identifying and Valuing Options. Cost Benefit Analysis of Public Sector Projects. Multi-criteria Analysis. International Capital Budgeting. Projects and Environmental Effects.

Project Finance. Domestic and International Financial Institutions. Multilateral Agencies. Financial Instruments. Syndicated Lending. Bonds. Financial Engineering. Derivative Products. Financial Options, futures and swaps. Costs of Raising Project Finance. Financing Infrastructure in Emerging Markets. Financing PFI/PPP Projects. Case Studies.

Learning Outcomes for module:

Upon completion of this module you will be able to:

LO1: discuss the principles of economic appraisal as applied to construction projects.
LO2: critically apply the principles of economic appraisal to aid investment decision making for construction projects.
LO3: explain the main sources, costs and conditions associated with raising project finance.
LO4: critically examine and analyse problems and synthesise solutions in project evaluation and financing.

Full Details of Teaching and Assessment
2020/1, Trimester 1, ONLINE,
VIEW FULL DETAILS
Occurrence: 002
Primary mode of delivery: ONLINE
Location of delivery: WORLDWIDE
Partner:
Member of staff responsible for delivering module: Stephen Sladdin
Module Organiser:


Learning, Teaching and Assessment (LTA) Approach:
The Project Appraisal and Finance module uses online audio lectures and powerpoints , with full coursenotes to deliver the theory of this module and then overlays the practical applications of the theory through use of case studies, project analysis and calculative exercises , these being tested via the three assessment items.
This module will also provide the opportunity for you to apply new knowledge within the context of your professional experience, reflecting on and learning from your prior experience and knowledge, and developing abilities to apply this to new situations. You will be taught how to analyse, synthesise and evaluate project viability and financing alternatives and solutions, and to develop your interpersonal skills, to be able to interact effectively with a range of other international students. This module also develops in you an active approach to studying and the capacity for independent learning.
You will also be directed to a variety of sources including books, e-books, journals, e-journals, to support your learning. A mix of reflective exercises, case studies and self-assessment questions (with diagnostic feedback) for each unit will engage you in the learning process.


Formative Assessment:
Formative feedback – will be provided in the module through the self-assessment questions. This will enable you to self-assess your progress and understanding. This module also uses end of unit tests worth 10% of the final assessment marks, to provide continual formative feedback on a unit by unit basis to assist the student.
The mid-module assessment feedback will also serve to act as formative feedback to inform the students in the completion of the end of module assessment.


Summative Assessment:
Summative assessment will be provided throughout the module in the form of one component, with two elements. Firstly a mid module assessment will offer formative and summative assessment (55%) assessing Los 1 and 2, and the final assessment will contribute the rest of module marks (45%), covering all Los 1-4.

Student Activity (Notional Equivalent Study Hours (NESH))
Mode of activityLearning & Teaching ActivityNESH (Study Hours)
Independent Learning Guided independent study 125
Online Guided independent study 10
Online Guided independent study 50
Online Guided independent study 5
Online Lecture 10
Total Study Hours200
Expected Total Study Hours for Module200


Assessment
Type of Assessment Weighting % LOs covered Week due Length in Hours/Words
Essay 10 1-4 2 HOURS= 0, WORDS= 0
Essay 45 1,2 7 HOURS= 0, WORDS= 3000
Centrally Time Tabled Examination 45 1-4 14/15 HOURS= 3, WORDS= 0
Component 1 subtotal: 55
Component 2 subtotal: 45
Module subtotal: 100
2020/1, Trimester 2, Face-to-Face,
VIEW FULL DETAILS
Occurrence: 001
Primary mode of delivery: Face-to-Face
Location of delivery: WORLDWIDE
Partner:
Member of staff responsible for delivering module: Stephen Sladdin
Module Organiser:


Learning, Teaching and Assessment (LTA) Approach:
The Project Appraisal and Finance module uses online audio lectures and powerpoints , with full coursenotes to deliver the theory of this module and then overlays the practical applications of the theory through use of case studies, project analysis and calculative exercises , these being tested via the three assessment items.
This module will also provide the opportunity for you to apply new knowledge within the context of your professional experience, reflecting on and learning from your prior experience and knowledge, and developing abilities to apply this to new situations. You will be taught how to analyse, synthesise and evaluate project viability and financing alternatives and solutions, and to develop your interpersonal skills, to be able to interact effectively with a range of other international students. This module also develops in you an active approach to studying and the capacity for independent learning.
You will also be directed to a variety of sources including books, e-books, journals, e-journals, to support your learning. A mix of reflective exercises, case studies and self-assessment questions (with diagnostic feedback) for each unit will engage you in the learning process.



Formative Assessment:
Formative feedback – will be provided in the module through the self-assessment questions. This will enable you to self-assess your progress and understanding. This module also uses end of unit tests worth 10% of the final assessment marks, to provide continual formative feedback on a unit by unit basis to assist the student.
The mid-module assessment feedback will also serve to act as formative feedback to inform the students in the completion of the end of module assessment.


Summative Assessment:
Summative assessment will be provided throughout the module in the form of one component, with two elements. Firstly a mid module assessment will offer formative and summative assessment (55%) assessing Los 1 and 2, and the final assessment will contribute the rest of module marks (45%), covering all Los 1-4.

Student Activity (Notional Equivalent Study Hours (NESH))
Mode of activityLearning & Teaching ActivityNESH (Study Hours)
Independent Learning Guided independent study 5
Independent Learning Guided independent study 10
Independent Learning Guided independent study 125
Independent Learning Guided independent study 10
Independent Learning Guided independent study 50
Total Study Hours200
Expected Total Study Hours for Module200


Assessment
Type of Assessment Weighting % LOs covered Week due Length in Hours/Words
Essay 10 1-4 2 HOURS= 0, WORDS= 0
Essay 45 1,2 7 HOURS= 0, WORDS= 3000
Centrally Time Tabled Examination 45 1-4 14/15 HOURS= 3, WORDS= 0
Component 1 subtotal: 55
Component 2 subtotal: 45
Module subtotal: 100

Indicative References and Reading List - URL:
Project Appraisal and Finance