Module title: Literature and Adaptation

SCQF level: 07:
SCQF credit value: 20.00
ECTS credit value: 10

Module code: CLP07105
Module leader: Arin Keeble
School School of Arts and Creative Industries
Subject area group: Humanities and Culture
Prerequisites

No

2019/0, Trimester 2, Face-to-Face, Edinburgh Napier University
Occurrence: 001
Primary mode of delivery: Face-to-Face
Location of delivery: MERCHISTON
Partner: Edinburgh Napier University
Member of staff responsible for delivering module: Arin Keeble
Module Organiser:


Learning, Teaching and Assessment (LTA) Approach:
This module is designed to encourage your active learning and collaboration. A large module, it is in different contexts. You will attend weekly lecture-workshops which combine conventional lecturing on different approaches to and contexts for the texts with group discussion-based activities. This means you will benefit from the expertise of the lecturer and also have the opportunity to engage with and collaborate with the entire lecture group. You will also attend weekly tutorials in small groups where you will have the chance to go into more detail on the content of the lecture-workshops. The emphasis in these sessions is on clarification – you can raise questions and debate issues with fellow students and the tutorial leader. Tutorials are much more student-led and interactive. Additionally, you will do a substantial amount of online learning via the module Moodle page – which has resources including academic articles, films and film clips, newspaper articles and more.

Formative Assessment:
This module includes the option of completing formative assignments to be assessed in weeks two and three.

Summative Assessment:
This module includes three summative assessments: class participation (20%) a short individual essay on either a) one of the literary texts or b) a scene analysis from one of the adaptations (30%) and a longer project essay which includes an option a) to include creative work, proposing your own adaptation and reflecting critically on it, or b) writing a more conventional essay response to one of four different set questions (50%).

Student Activity (Notional Equivalent Study Hours (NESH))
Mode of activityLearning & Teaching ActivityNESH (Study Hours)
Face To Face Lecture 10
Face To Face Tutorial 20
Independent Learning Guided independent study 170
Total Study Hours200
Expected Total Study Hours for Module200


Assessment
Type of Assessment Weighting % LOs covered Week due Length in Hours/Words
Practical Skills Assessment 20 1-5 2 HOURS= 0, WORDS= 0
Essay 30 1-5 6 HOURS= 0, WORDS= 700
Essay 50 1-5 12 HOURS= 0, WORDS= 1300
Component 1 subtotal: 20
Component 2 subtotal: 80
Module subtotal: 100

Description of module content:

On this module you will explore the concept of genre, the process of adaptation, the cultural significance of literary texts and films, the cultural contexts of ‘original’ literary texts, the refractions of the texts into new historical moments and social/political contexts and key issues in the theory of adaptation. Texts may include: Mary Shelley’s novel Frankenstein (1812) and a range of adaptations from James Whale’s famous cinematic adaptation (1931) to the recent television series Penny Dreadful (2014-2016); William Shakespeare’s Macbeth (1606) and film adaptations from Akira Kurosawa’s Throne of Blood (1957); and the recent film / comics A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014). We will explore the difference between ‘appropriation’ and ‘adaptation’, the persistency of ‘fidelity discourse’ and look at the vexed questions of revision, remaking and intertextuality.

Learning Outcomes for module:

Upon completion of this module you will be able to:
LO1: Identify the historical contexts in which each literary text emerged;
LO2: recognise the continuing cultural impact of canonical literary texts;
LO3: outline the process of canon-formation;
LO4: critically compare and contrast literary texts with their film adaptations;
LO5: use adaptation theory to critically discuss literary adaptions.

Indicative References and Reading List - URL:
CLP07105 Literature and Adaptation