Core Module Information
Module title: Transport Policy

SCQF level: 11:
SCQF credit value: 20.00
ECTS credit value: 10

Module code: CTR11505
Module leader: Jonathan Cowie
School School of Computing, Engineering and the Built Environment
Subject area group: Built Environment


Description of module content:

The module starts by considering the process of policy making and who is responsible for transport policy e.g. supranational, central and local government structures and the role of the private sector. Problems and trends in transport demand and an introduction to policy perspectives; economic instruments in transport; taxes and subsidies, funding mechanisms, road pricing; direct regulation of street space);;; Land use planning and the management of transport demand;; evolution of road and rail networks; rural transport policy; parking policy; town-friendly traffic planning; green commuter plans; “Smarter Choices” behavioural change measures, the mobility impaired in transport policy;;.
Implementation and evaluation of transport policy. Case studies of transport policy and planning approaches in various International cities.

Learning Outcomes for module:

On completion of this module the student will be able to:
1. discuss relevant transport and planning legislation, and policy debates surrounding this legislation;
2. evaluate the interaction of social, technological, environmental and economic factors which are important to thea sustainable transport policy
decision-making process;
3. compare policy developments and policy tools used to manage transport demand;
4. discuss local and central government structures and decision-making and their influence over transport policy;
5. undertake policy formulation, implementation and analysis.

Full Details of Teaching and Assessment
2022/3, Trimester 1, FACE-TO-FACE, Edinburgh Napier University
Occurrence: 001
Primary mode of delivery: FACE-TO-FACE
Location of delivery: MERCHISTON
Partner: Edinburgh Napier University
Member of staff responsible for delivering module: Jonathan Cowie
Module Organiser:

Learning, Teaching and Assessment (LTA) Approach:
The module will rely on blended learning using lectures and tutorials, with this then supplemented with Virtual Learning Environment materials to facilitate both directed and reflective study. Lectures, each of 1.5 hours, will cover both theory and how to apply it, and up-to-date practical examples. (LO1-5). The tutorial sessions will help to reinforce the theoretical learning but will focus principally on the application of the theory (LO4-5). Some time in tutorials will also be used for advising on and monitoring progress on the coursework (LO2-5). One to two guest lecturers from industry will provide an up-to-date view of the relevance of transport policy to their field of work, and also up-to-date case studies (LO3-5). The remaining time will be devoted to directed study, where a comprehensive list of references will be supplied in order to allow students to deepen their understanding of both theory and practice. This will include links to industry materials, presentations and videos that show how transport policy is developed and applied in practice. (LO1-5) The key skills are: a) Communication skills - oral and written skills through the work in tutorials and the submission of the coursework; b) Group work - through the requirement to work in groups during some tutorials and lectures and to present the results of the coursework; c) Networking Skills - through the use of guest lecturers; d) Evaluation skills - students will learn the use of evaluation methodologies as used in the transport planning industry.

Formative Assessment:
Regular feedback will be provided to students through the tutorials.

Summative Assessment:
The assessment is made up of two components, a coursework which is worth 30% of the total module mark, and a centrally timetabled exam which is worth the remaining 70% of the marks. (LOs 1-5).

Student Activity (Notional Equivalent Study Hours (NESH))
Mode of activityLearning & Teaching ActivityNESH (Study Hours)
Face To Face Tutorial 48
Independent Learning Guided independent study 149
Face To Face Centrally Time Tabled Examination 3
Total Study Hours200
Expected Total Study Hours for Module200

Type of Assessment Weighting % LOs covered Week due Length in Hours/Words
Essay 30 1,2,4 5 HOURS= 0, WORDS= 2500
Centrally Time Tabled Examination 70 1-5 14/15 HOURS= 3, WORDS= 0
Component 1 subtotal: 30
Component 2 subtotal: 70
Module subtotal: 100

Indicative References and Reading List - URL:
Contact your module leader