Module title: Strategic Information Systems Management

SCQF level: 11:
SCQF credit value: 20.00
ECTS credit value: 10

Module code: INF11815
Module leader: Pritam Chita
School School of Computing
Subject area group: Creative and Social Informatics
Prerequisites

n/a

2019/0, Trimester 1, Online,
Occurrence: 001
Primary mode of delivery: Online
Location of delivery: N/A
Partner:
Member of staff responsible for delivering module: Pritam Chita
Module Organiser:


Learning, Teaching and Assessment (LTA) Approach:
Teaching comprises a blend of lectures and tutorials that cover all Learning Outcomes (LOs). Lectures will be recorded and uploaded to Moodle for distance learning online students.

Tutorials and weekly online forums include conventional discussion-based sessions (LOs1, 2, 3, 4, 5), real-world case study analysis (LOs 3, 4, 5) and evaluation of relevant academic and research material (all LOs).

This module provides an opportunity for students to apply new knowledge within the context of their previous experience where students can apply their knowledge to new situations. Students will learn how to analyse, synthesise and solve complex unstructured business related IS/IT problems. Students will have the opportunity to develop their online communication skills with a range of international students as well as develop the capacity for independent learning.

Students will be provided with responsive, engaging and interactive online learning materials which will include a general introduction to the module and how to study the module together with core academic theory relating to the topic. Students will also be directed to a variety of electronic sources including e-books, e-journals and other web based resources. A mix of reflective exercises, case studies and self-assessment questions (with diagnostic feedback) for each unit will engage students within the learning process. Online materials will encourage students to reflect upon their experience and learning and are encouraged to form into independent online discussion groups.

To support learning, students will have access to module specific materials which will comprise the following elements: a module introduction/overview, including learning outcomes and summary of key learning points for each unit; podcasts and/or videos which feature further key concepts where appropriate; recorded keynote lectures/guest speakers (as appropriate); case studies and outline solutions; two online discussions moderated by the online tutor; self-assessment questions (with automated feedback); reflective exercises; end of unit progress tests; links to core module academic
materials etc.



Formative Assessment:
Formative feedback will be provided throughout the module through feedback on the self-assessment questions and case studies, both of which will have outline solutions available. This will enable students to self-assess their understanding and progress. Appropriate online feedback will be available automatically and immediately after the assessment is completed. Reflective exercises throughout the module will require students to apply the delivered concepts and theory to their own experiences and circumstances and these reflections will be captured in an online portfolio that students will be able to review and print.

Summative Assessment:
Summative assessment will be provided throughout the module in the form of one component with two element. The first element which relates to LOs 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 consists of progress tests throughout the module which will account for 10% of the module mark. These tests will also offer formative feedback. The second element which relates to LOs 3, 4 & 5 constitutes the final assessment which will contribute the remaining module mark of 90%.



Student Activity (Notional Equivalent Study Hours (NESH))
Mode of activityLearning & Teaching ActivityNESH (Study Hours)
Online Seminar 4
Online Guided independent study 5
Independent Learning Guided independent study 191
Total Study Hours200
Expected Total Study Hours for Module200


Assessment
Type of Assessment Weighting % LOs covered Week due Length in Hours/Words
Class Test 10 1,2,3,4,5 10 HOURS= 5, WORDS= 0
Report 90 3,4,5 14 HOURS= 0, WORDS= 3000
Component 1 subtotal: 100
Component 2 subtotal: 0
Module subtotal: 100
2019/0, Trimester 2, ONLINE,
Occurrence: 002
Primary mode of delivery: ONLINE
Location of delivery: N/A
Partner:
Member of staff responsible for delivering module: Pritam Chita
Module Organiser:


Learning, Teaching and Assessment (LTA) Approach:
Teaching comprises a blend of lectures and tutorials that cover all Learning Outcomes (LOs). Lectures will be recorded and uploaded to Moodle for distance learning online students.

Tutorials and weekly online forums include conventional discussion-based sessions (LOs1, 2, 3, 4, 5), real-world case study analysis (LOs 3, 4, 5) and evaluation of relevant academic and research material (all LOs).

This module provides an opportunity for students to apply new knowledge within the context of their previous experience where students can apply their knowledge to new situations. Students will learn how to analyse, synthesise and solve complex unstructured business related IS/IT problems. Students will have the opportunity to develop their online communication skills with a range of international students as well as develop the capacity for independent learning.

Students will be provided with responsive, engaging and interactive online learning materials which will include a general introduction to the module and how to study the module together with core academic theory relating to the topic. Students will also be directed to a variety of electronic sources including e-books, e-journals and other web based resources. A mix of reflective exercises, case studies and self-assessment questions (with diagnostic feedback) for each unit will engage students within the learning process. Online materials will encourage students to reflect upon their experience and learning and are encouraged to form into independent online discussion groups.

To support learning, students will have access to module specific materials which will comprise the following elements: a module introduction/overview, including learning outcomes and summary of key learning points for each unit; podcasts and/or videos which feature further key concepts where appropriate; recorded keynote lectures/guest speakers (as appropriate); case studies and outline solutions; two online discussions moderated by the online tutor; self-assessment questions (with automated feedback); reflective exercises; end of unit progress tests; links to core module academic
materials etc.


Formative Assessment:
Formative feedback will be provided throughout the module through feedback on the self-assessment questions and case studies, both of which will have outline solutions available. This will enable students to self-assess their understanding and progress. Appropriate online feedback will be available automatically and immediately after the assessment is completed. Reflective exercises throughout the module will require students to apply the delivered concepts and theory to their own experiences and circumstances and these reflections will be captured in an online portfolio that students will be able to review and print.

Summative Assessment:
Summative assessment will be provided throughout the module in the form of one component with two element. The first element which relates to LOs 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 consists of progress tests throughout the module which will account for 10% of the module mark. These tests will also offer formative feedback. The second element which relates to LOs 3, 4 & 5 constitutes the final assessment which will contribute the remaining module mark of 90%.

Sample assessments will be made available online along with model answers and marking schemas to facilitate self-assessment of knowledge. This will assist in identification of areas of understanding and potential deficiencies and so aid preparation for the final assessment.


Student Activity (Notional Equivalent Study Hours (NESH))
Mode of activityLearning & Teaching ActivityNESH (Study Hours)
Independent Learning Guided independent study 191
Online Guided independent study 4
Online Guided independent study 5
Total Study Hours200
Expected Total Study Hours for Module200


Assessment
Type of Assessment Weighting % LOs covered Week due Length in Hours/Words
Class Test 10 1,2,3,4,5 10 HOURS= 5, WORDS= 0
Report 90 3,4,5 14 HOURS= 0, WORDS= 3000
Component 1 subtotal: 100
Component 2 subtotal: 0
Module subtotal: 100

Description of module content:

Evolving role of strategic IS/IT systems; Management of strategic IS/IT systems; Processes for developing effective IS/IT strategies; Alignment of IS/IT strategies with business strategies; Innovating with IS/IT systems; Strategic IS/IT systems for competitive advantage; Tools & techniques for building IS/IT strategic capabilities; Evaluating & justifying IS/IT systems; Managing a portfolio of IS/IT applications. Positioning & managing strategic IS/IT systems.

Learning Outcomes for module:

Upon completion of this module you will be able to
LO1: Analyse the strategic context of IS/IT systems and their increasing business integration and
impact on the competitive advantage of businesses.
LO2: Appraise the challenges in the management and strategy formulation of IS/IT systems in
modern complex business environments.
LO3: Critically evaluate the tools & techniques available to build and develop innovative strategic
IS/IT capabilities.
LO4: Evaluate how strategic IS/IT systems are justified and assessed as investments and for their
business contribution.
LO5: Critically assess the structural, organisational & governance aspects of strategic IS/IT systems.

Indicative References and Reading List - URL:
Contact your module leader