Core Module Information
Module title: Dissertation

SCQF level: 10:
SCQF credit value: 40.00
ECTS credit value: 20

Module code: LMD10100
Module leader: C. Paul Sellors
School School of Arts and Creative Industries
Subject area group: Screen and Performance

There are no pre-requisites for this module to be added

Description of module content:

On this module you will write a dissertation of 10,000 to 12,000 words. Your choice of topic must be approved by the module leader and your supervisor, and should normally be from the general subject areas of your programme of study (Film or Mass Communications). The dissertation must be the result of independent, critical investigation by you and show evidence of relevant research methods and detailed knowledge of established literature and other resources in your chosen area of study. You will be expected to undertake research through appropriate resources, such as libraries, archives, films, videos, photographs, surveys or questionnaires, data sets, and interviews.

Learning Outcomes for module:

Upon completion of this module you will be able to:
LO1: Develop extensive knowledge of a specialist area of investigation
LO2: Develop analytical and research skills that encourage and expand independent enquiry
LO3: Accurately assess and critically reflect on complex and professional-level problems and issues
LO4: Make effective use of academic research methodologies, techniques and methods appropriate to an in-depth research project
LO5: Manage research and writing schedules
LO6: Compose a dissertation that establishes and demonstrates the problematics, research, methodologies, analysis and conclusions of a substantial research project.

Full Details of Teaching and Assessment
2022/3, Trimester 1, FACE-TO-FACE, Edinburgh Napier University
Occurrence: 001
Primary mode of delivery: FACE-TO-FACE
Location of delivery: MERCHISTON
Partner: Edinburgh Napier University
Member of staff responsible for delivering module: C. Paul Sellors
Module Organiser:

Learning, Teaching and Assessment (LTA) Approach:
This module uses a combination of class lectures (LOs 2, 3, and 4), group tutorials (LOs 1, 2, 3, and 4) and fortnightly individual tutorials (LOs 1-6) to ensure (1) you are fully aware of the requirements and obligations of a dissertation-length research project, (2) you contribute with your peers to a research community, and (3) you progress satisfactorily with your individual research projects. You may also attend your supervisor’s scheduled office hours should you wish further guidance between your scheduled individual tutorials. These additional meetings will be brief and should address a specific issue in your research. They are a supplement to your scheduled individual tutorials and do not replace them. Independent learning constitutes the major component of your activity (LOs 1-6). Your supervisor’s expertise and experience in research will help you to conceive and develop your research project in as much depth and as efficiently as possible. Moreover, the combination of independent research and individual tutorials will enable you to develop project management skills and improve your critical capacities and autonomy as a researcher. The module utilises Moodle to support a research culture and further foster research project management skills.

Formative Assessment:
This module has two approaches to formative feedback. First, in your fortnightly supervision sessions you will discuss your research with your supervisor and receive extensive feedback and guidance. In the early weeks you will discuss research notes and practices, methodologies, and research questions, and near the end of the module you will discuss and get written feedback on drafts of your dissertation. Second, in the two group tutorials you will discuss your research with your colleagues, getting peer feedback on your progress.

Summative Assessment:
The summative assessment is divided into two elements. 90% of your mark is based on your dissertation. This is double marked. Your dissertation will be anonymised for the second reader. The remaining 10% of your mark assesses your research process. Your supervisor will evaluate the professionalism you demonstrate as a researcher.

Student Activity (Notional Equivalent Study Hours (NESH))
Mode of activityLearning & Teaching ActivityNESH (Study Hours)
Face To Face Project Supervision 3.5
Face To Face Lecture 7.5
Face To Face Groupwork (Scheduled) 3
Independent Learning Guided independent study 386
Total Study Hours401
Expected Total Study Hours for Module401

Type of Assessment Weighting % LOs covered Week due Length in Hours/Words
Final Year Project 90 1, 2, 3, 4,6 15 HOURS= 0, WORDS= 10000
Practical Skills Assessment 10 2,3,4,5 1 HOURS= 0, WORDS= 0
Component 1 subtotal: 100
Component 2 subtotal: 0
Module subtotal: 100

Indicative References and Reading List - URL: